Tuesday 23 June 2009

Manchester United 10 - Tottenham Hotspurs 2

Last night saw the final United/Spurs match for a long while. I was hoping that United's loss of Ronaldo and Tevez over the last couple of weeks would play in favour of the Super Spurs, but I couldn't of been more wrong. If anything it forged a much stronger team with Rooney playing out of his skin. 10-2 was the worst result of the two games, with 9-2 being the other. There was some concern that both managers had been drinking, with the Spurs manager quite unreasonably even drinking a glass of red during the game. I don't know how he will explain that to Ledley King.

Of course I'm not waffling on about a real game of football, it was last nights FIFA07 on the PS2 between two old friends. Over the years this has become a sort of ritual between us. Not sure how or when it started, but over the years the results have tended to be reasonably even. In general I would say that United have probably won more games, and the games that Spurs have won tended to be smaller goal victories. The games have been played on various versions of the FIFA game with last nights 2007 version being the worst version I have ever played! Of course I would say that bearing in mind the thrashing that occurred.

I'm not too sure exactly why the game turned into the crushing United victory. I have a belief that United had been secretly practicing for months just on the off chance of one final Spurs game. I also have a belief that lots of lager may have numbed the usually razor sharp senses of the Spurs team. Whatever the reason, it was probably a fair result and one that will haunt me forever. I have done some basic research and I don't think that United have ever beaten Spurs by such a large margin, but after this seasons 5-2 drubbing I assume that Spurs are getting used to the humiliation.

Aside from the football the rest of the evening was short, but good fun. I am glad that I had the opportunity to have one last beer in Hedge End.

There are too many stories I could write here about Richie and myself from the lest 15 years, but I won't do them justice so I'm not going to try. I'm also sure that there are too many stories I have forgotten, which would probably be the really interesting ones.

I wish Cathy and Rich (and the cats) all the best for the brave move to Canada. I will miss both of them and hope to see them again sooner rather than later. Be sure though I will be practicing on FIFA everyday from now till then!

Good riddance guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment