Thursday 18 June 2009

5 against 3 doesn't make 6




I woke up around 19 hours ago and yet I can't seem to sleep tonight. This is quite unusual for me as I am normally a very shallow person and also a good sleeper (in the good old fashioned sense of the word).



Today or yesterday (depending on your pendanctics) was a really hard day. It started bright and early with Anya's 6th birthday. I was proud of her, but not really properly focused. It was the trees, not me being rubbish. We had breakfast and presents, and cakes with candles, all before 8.30am. Amazing.


She is the best 6 year old I know. Smart, caring, curious, challenging, fun, funny, demanding, gorgeous and totally wrapped up in being a 6 year old girl.


Unfortunately for me, I am the worse 35 year old I know . The list of issues is long, so I won't go into it, but I dissappointed myself today because I let the trees become more important than the birthday of my little 6 year old girl.


Birthdays are something that you are immensely proud of when you are young. I think of myself as still young, but the fact that every year I look forward less to my birthday is maybe a little telling about my age. When you are 10 you can't wait to be a year older, whether it is purely for the party I'm not too sure, but life is full of unpredicatable excitement behind (and around) every corner and we look forward to that with unbridled enthusiasm. We could all do with some of that now and again.


I sat with Anya on Sunday and we looked at all the famous people who shared her birthday on the 17th June. The list was pretty pathetic, although Venus Williams and Barry Manilow meant a lot to me, but she wasn't even impressed by Lee from Blue. Kids today!


After all my self depreciation of the last few lines, in our house we now have a rule of not having just a birthday. You have a 'birthday week'. I like this invention. Whilst I am sure that it was created to elongate the present giving and cake eating process, it has also allowed the importance of 1 single day to become less relevant. Within the 'birthday week' you should go to atleast a couple of pub lunches, have atleast 2 or 3 birthday cakes, open many many presents and hopefully see granny and grandad, plus all the aunties, uncles etc.


OK, so I may have missed most of today, but I think Anya's 'birthday week' will probably end on Sunday. There's still 4 more days to go. Plenty of time to enjoy ourselves.


On the matter of trees I can confirm we got a result. Although we had to sit through stories of airships, imaginary rivers and imported dutch lime trees. And I never got to meet the Lickorice.


Anyway, tomorrow's another day and it's still Anya's 'birthday week'

No comments:

Post a Comment