Saturday 6 June 2009

Blog #1

I have never made any attempts to keep a diary, except back in my teens when I was full of angst and hormones. That initial attempt at diary keeping lasted for a matter of days and quickly fell into a rhythm of who I fancied and how much my parents annoyed me.

Deep stuff indeed.

For this my new blog I am hoping to I take one incident, thought or encounter from a previous day, week or even year and then write about it. This I hope, will improve my writing and to force myself to think about how things have made me feel. So there will be mistakes and things that are frankly rubbish and embarrassing. But little more than most expect of me I am sure.
I also like the idea of trying to turn around the ravages of the last 35 years on my brain. By recording the day to day minutia that usually gets quickly forgotten, the odd characters, bizarre thoughts, quiet reflections, and of course the family growing up, I hope to produce something worth reading and turn the clock back on the old grey matter.
I will undoubtedly reveal stuff about my mental state which is OK. I think.

I am sure that it is quite hard to think of anything to write about and I am concerned that my motivation will quickly wain, as the 16 year old me reminds of my failed attempts at diary writing back in the early 1990's. Damn that 16 year old me!

Much of my life is spent at work. I do not plan to write about the ins an outs of my demanding work life as a high flyer. If I did, I am sure the work me would chastise me about the quality of the blog entries produced and get me to stay late at work to bring them up to scratch. Damn the work me!

This is not going to be a record of everything about my day, rather just a second of reflection or memory. As long as the work me gives me some time off.....

1 comment: