Friday 10 July 2009

Living la Vida Loca

I think that I am addicted to Come Dine with Me.

It's Friday evening and I'm listening to some music, trying to relax and enjoy the approaching weekend. But at the back of my mind I'm secretly looking forward to meeting 5 perfect strangers and enjoying 5 meals with them at each of their houses. Lovingly prepared, although the quality is never guaranteed. What is guaranteed though is that someone will do a prawn starter, someone will do a lamb main course, someone will do a tiramasu (paah!) and someone will act a total nitwit. Add to this the perfect dry and sarcastic humour of Dave Lamb (http://www.channel4.com/food/features/interviews/dave-lamb-interview_p_1.html), then it's another perfect night in for me. Cancel the babysitter!

In reality, I don't think that I could volunteer for a week of eating and drinking with people that I didn't know and that potentially would irritate and annoy me. It's not that I am intolerant, it's just I'd rather not take the risk. Plus I'm shit at cooking. No, I am really awful, although I suppose it's all about the effort, and maybe the 'work me' would secretly like the challenge of giving four annoying strangers the best damn meal of their lives. I've not really thought this through, but I suspect that I would cook a meaty fish, as the veggies never win with their exotic mix of carrots, nuts and lentils.

Starter - Leek and Stilton tart and salad or creamy garlic mushrooms and fresh homemade bread
Main - Tuna steak marinated in something or other, with roasted vegetables, cous cous and a fantastic rich fruity jus (don't really know what this is)
Dessert - Lemon and cointreau tart, homemade ice cream with icing dust

Plus lots and lots of nice strong booze, so that they score me highly in the taxi on the way home.

One thing I don't like about the show is the fact that they aren't able to play music at the dinner party. For me this is a real big issues, as I think that it would seriously affect the mood of the evening. Whether you are inside or out, a little music helps to improve the whole evening. Favourite dinner party music? Leave this for another time.
What score do I think I would get from my fellow contestants? I haven't a clue, but I doubt I'd win. Probably because I'd constantly be popping up stairs to ask Chris advice on how to do cooking stuff. Yes that's right I'd keep Chris up stairs as my cook advice slave.

On the topic of music, I have just stopped listening to the album Jazz, which seems to have been in constant rotation in the Smax for the last 2 or 3 months. Due to my exceptionally short term memory, I always forget to remember to take more cds from the house into the car. I hate only having 1 cd in the car, but inevitably due to laziness, grow to love every song on the album. Favourite currently is 'No More Of That Jazz' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45gRQOBrEFk).

Finally, I wish to ramble on a little about the sad death of Michael Jackson. Whilst not being an out and out fan, I did own an album and ofcourse grew up with his music. The death of anyone is very sad, but with MJ (as I'm calling him) it was ofcourse a shock because in the eyes of the world (and Paul McCartney) he was purely a Peter Pan child/man. My underlying memory of MJ is not the music, but the dangling of a baby over the balcony of a hotel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aiAqR5jF2s) from a few years ago, which made him look like a loony. Favourite song? Probably Say Say Say or Liberian Girl. Said with a straight(ish) face.

Anyway I looked today on YouTube to see what was the most watched post. I half expected it to be Thriller or another MJ video, but he's not even in the top 10. Number 1 is a video about a little boy being bit by his baby brother (107 million views). Number 2 is the lovely Leona Lewis with Bleeding Love (87 million views). Number 3 is mad, fat and dangerous to know - Susan Boyle (70 million views).

I hope Susan Boyle doesn't croak it.

No comments:

Post a Comment